Weakest Skeleton! Lesson03 — Part 1



Lesson03 — You’re a Gentle Child, Akai!

~ Part 1 ~

Read at

“Really, Washio…”

When receiving the report, a heavy atmosphere looms in the kitchen.

After leaving the base and started traveling, our location has been moved to the kitchen of the land warship referred to as ‘heavy cruiser branch school’. I’m not really familiar with the navy warships of old Japan, but as I see it, this kitchen seems to have everything necessary at the ready. Sugiura seems to be making meals with cheerful appearance these days.
However, the voice of Sugiura who is making that report isn’t the usual lively one. With her face looking down, what kind of expression she’s making isn’t visible to me.

My name is Katsubushi Dashihiko. Formerly the homeroom teacher of Municipal Jindai High-school 2nd year class 4, now just a dried bonito.
It doesn’t matter even if you laugh at me, but allow me to say my explanation and justification some other time. Right now I’m a little beaten as expected.

The report I received is that one of my students, Washio Kouta has died. The voice of Sugiura, who wasn’t that close to Washio, has a sinking feeling to it, and Honno-san, who probably has never exchange even a single word with him, is lost for words as well.
The one who did Washio in is the gang of the red winged devil whom I have faintly know as hostile since before. Namely speaking, they’re the Blood of Red Moon. We tried to explore the ruins that once was a residential area visible in this mountainous region, but then we encountered those guys. Washio who became a decoy in order to let Utsurogi and Himemizu escape has died then.
A strong sense of helplessness and loss dominates my body. This is incomparable to the time when Kogane was kidnapped. Again, I couldn’t do anything when my students was in a crisis, I couldn’t save Washio.

However, I can’t afford to either mope around or go rotting like last time. Because the ones who feel painful aren’t just me alone.

“Sugiura, are you OK?”

When I called out, she raised her face in surprise.

That’s right. The ones who feel painful aren’t just me alone. The realistic problem called the ‘death’ of a classmate. The children of 2nd year class 4 who have more than 10 years gap with me in terms of life experience will find this exceedingly difficult to overcome alone.
Those who died will never return. There should be no student who doesn’t know this fact, but then, just how many students truly understand its significance? However, in contrast to a single deceased, those alive are many. Those who survived should be able to join hands and look forward to the future. I think that what Sugiura and the students need is that kind of mental attitude.

“Yup…. I’m, not okay. It’s a little painful.”

There’s no spirit in Sugiura’s look as she said so.

“Sugiura-san…”

Honno-san, who has an exclusive bookshelf prepared, also calls out worriedly. I clear my throat a little.

“That’s right. It’s painful…. But the ones in pain aren’t just you alone.”
“Be patience because everyone is in pain?”
“No no, it’s the opposite. Because everyone is in pain, go and talk to various people, share the pain.”

Even if you mope around, even if you worry, your feelings will just sink even deeper.

Sugiura is brooding with a gloomy face. In the galley, there are chopped vegetables on the cutting board. While she was preparing dinner, the students were gathered by the broadcast inside the ship, and then Washio’s death was made known. Since she came back, Sugiura hasn’t continued her cooking at all.
My vocabulary is too lacking to get Sugiura to recover here. In addition, talking together with a close friend about the deceased can be much more comforting to one’s heart than listening to the bigoted opinion of an adult. That’s what I’m recommending.

“…Yeah, I understand.”

Sugiura finally says so and nods.

“I will try talking to Hanazono. Sorry, I may not return for a while.”
“Don’t worry about it.”

Sugiura goes out of the kitchen with lifeless footsteps. Her octopus legs have none of its usual spirit.

“…Being a teacher is also a very difficult standpoint.”

Honno-san says so to me in a gentle tone.

“Because I’m an adult. Being an adult is painful.”

Even when I’m sad, I have to keep up cool appearance. This is what I learned from my students just the other day.

In the galley that has become deathly silent, I recall about Washio. Washio was in the basketball club. Since I heard that he was in the soccer club in middle school, it doesn’t mean that he’s the type of character to devote to a single sport. In fact, he has a flaw of being easily distracted and everything he did doesn’t last long.
That Washio came to me for consultation just one, saying that there’s a person he likes so he wants to make her fall no matter what. Frankly, I’ve only had an older girlfriend once when I was a college student (we broke up half a year after finding employment), my love experience isn’t exactly abundance so I struggled quite a bit. But as an adult, I told him the most plausible thing «Then show your cool side by devote yourself to one thing».
It was half a year later that Washio snatched away a regular position in the basket ball club. He seemed to have been rejected by the partner in mind though.

That Washio has died. I can’t hear that slick tone of his anymore.

Again, I feel a very difficult to get rid of sense of loss.

After a little while, Sugiura returns. It is difficult to say her spirit has returned, but some vitality is returning to her smile.
Sugiura talked to Hanazono and seems to have decided to do what they themselves can do. Hanazono says that she will grow the carrots Washio likes, Sugiura says that she will cook those carrots. I guess the girls feel like doing a memorial service for the deceased. That’s good. I respect that.

I told Sugiura to bring any student who is still hurt and can’t recover to my place. Well, in the end Sugiura didn’t bring any students to my place. I’m very lonely.
Apart from that though, Ryuzaki brings along a surprising students to my place that night.

It’s Goubayashi. I’m stunned. My mouth would be agape if I still have it. At any rate, since this guy is disappeared a month ago, he is one of the students we have no contact with at all. There should have been Okama accompanying him but it seems they got separated midway through.
Goubayashi bowed to me, «I’m sorry to have made you worry», he said. He’s a serious guy as usual.

“Well, it’s fine as long as you’re healthy.”
“Sensei also seems to be healthy.”
“…What are you looking at to be thinking so…”

The topic naturally shifted from there to the story of Washio’s death.

It seems that the students have decided among themselves to perform Washio’s funeral. This too, is a good thing. It is important to face death. I also want to attend if possible, but it’s impossible for a dried bonito. Since they’re going carry the Buddhist altar to the dining room after the funeral ends, I decided to offer my flaked bonito there.

“Sensei’s flaked bonito, is it?…”

Goubayashi’s face is grim.

“Wha–what. Is it bad? No, it’s not bad. You’re going to get good soup stock, since it’s my flaked bonito.”
“No…. It’s because I have never heard of anyone who offer dried bonito…”
“Really, is fruit still better as expected…. Washio certainly did like carrots.”
“Yes, well…”

Well, Goubayashi is the son of a temple. He should be more knowledgeable than someone like me. I will obediently follow what he said here.

“Katsubushi-sensei.”

The reason Ryuzaki brought Goubayashi along seems to be for a light greeting. After exchanging a few conversations with Goubayashi, he comes out from the kitchen. But as he goes out, he suddenly looks back.

“Nn, what’s wrong?”
“Looking from sensei’s perspective, what do you think of the class right now?”

That is a surprising question.

“But sensei has no eyes…”
“Then there’s no problem even if you feel. For me, I can’t help but feel stuck about this mass different world transference itself.”
“Fumu…”

It’s unusual for this guy Goubayashi to throw such a direct question at me like this. It’s because this guy’s a not-troublesome student who can settle most problem by himself. Thanks to that, his reputation is very good among the teachers, but I’m a little unsatisfied as his homeroom teacher though.

But generally, whenever this prudent boy (yes, I’m a little hesitant in saying this, but Goubayashi is a boy) ask a question, then in many case, the path to the answer will be a treacherous one. I’m a teacher, but to be frank, I’m not really that smart.

“In the dungeon we first transferred to, there are too many supplies for daily necessities. That’s not all. As I heard from Ryuzaki, the main engine of this heavy cruiser branch school is also something discovered in the dungeon.”
“You mean the situation is too convenient?”
“Yes. To be honest, I feel something quite artificial.”

But what is the relationship between that and whether do I feel anything about the class?
Thinking so, I sharply raise my face. No, I have no face. ∗Clanking∗, my entire body move.

“Perhaps, Goubayashi, you’re saying that there’s someone among the students who took part in this transference incident?”
“It’s only a possibility to the last.”

So he says. I’m troubled.

This means that Goubayashi is asking «Do you feel anything in the class?», but ever since I reincarnated as a dried bonito, I have only ever secluded myself inside the kitchen all the time. There’s no way I can see such a thing. What I know is only things such as how many suction cups are there on Sugiura’s octopus legs. I counted since I’m free, but this may possibly be sexual harassment so let’s keep my mouth shut.

“Well, anyway Goubayashi, looking from me, there’s nothing in particular.”
“Is that so? Sorry to have asked a strange question.”

Saying that much, Goubayashi comes out from the kitchen. In exchange, Sugiura returns, carrying along a large amount of carrots.

“I’m back, sensei. Why was Goubayashi-kun here?”
“We’re talking about how there may be a student who participated in our transference incident.”

As I says so, Sugiura’s eyes round in wonder.

“Ehh, really?”
“It’s only a possibility to the last. Right? Honno-san.”
“Eh, yes. That’s right, isn’t it…”

Honno-san hesitates a little bit then seriously nods. I wonder if she is affected by Goubayashi’s impact.

“Well, anyway Sugiura. If there’s such a student, bring them to me. There’s no doubt that they must be suffering alone.”
“No way, sensei. Even if there’s such a child, there’s no way I can find them.”
“There’s that too, isn’t it.”

Ahahahahaha, a peaceful laughter echos in the kitchen.

However, it is but a few hours later that Sugiura brings along such a student.


To be continued…


Comments